‘A plant-based lifestyle is not a diet – nor is the gym the only place you can successfully, and happily, get fit.’
Eating vegan is becoming increasingly common, but it doesn’t necessarily follow that this healthy diet means no indulgences are allowed. Stefanie Moir, has written an excellent book on vegan eating and fitness, but hasn’t forgotten to put in the treats! Here are two of her very delicious recipes . . .
Recipes taken from Naturally Stefanie: Recipes, Workouts and Daily Rituals for a Stronger, Happier You
By Stefanie Moir
Published by Black and White Publishing
Tofu Chocolate Mousse
I know, tofu and chocolate do not sound like a winning combination but, trust me, this mousse is utterly delicious. Served in cocktail glasses or ramekins, it’s a perfect pudding for dinner parties.
300g silken tofu
100g vegan-friendly chocolate
80g maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of sea salt
- First melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water or in the microwave.
- Drain and remove excess moisture from the tofu.
- Add the tofu, maple syrup, vanilla and salt to a food processor and combine until smooth.
- Then add in the melted chocolate and pulse until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into ramekin-style dishes, filling up around a quarter of the dish and place in the fridge to set.
- To serve, top with vegan whipped cream and chocolate – optional!
Blueberry and Lemon Pancakes
200ml almond milk
35g vegan vanilla protein powder or
substitute with 35g of oats
1 ripe banana
1 tsp baking powder
150g blueberries (plus extra for topping)
juice and zest of 1 lemon
- First, juice and zest the lemon. Set the zest to one side – you’ll use it as a topping for the pancakes later
- Lightly grease and preheat a non-stick pan over a medium heat.
- Using a blender or whisk, mix together the oats, protein powder, banana, baking powder, lemon juice and almond milk to form a smooth batter. Then add the blueberries.
- Once the pan is hot, pour the batter into the pan until desired pancake size is reached.
- Cook the pancakes until the surface begins to bubble and the edges turn brown then flip and cook on the other side. This should take between 4 and 6 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to your plate or into the oven to stay warm.
- Top with the extra blueberries and lemon zest.
Naturally Stefanie: Recipes, Workouts and Daily Rituals for a Stronger, Happier You by Stefanie Moir is published by Black and White Publishing, priced £16.99