ABOUT THIS BOOK
PUBLICATION DATE: March 16, 2018
The Times Britain’s Best Walks
By Christopher Somerville
200 Classic Walks from The Times
Christopher Somerville has covered the length and breadth of the UK on foot, and has written and broadcast about its history, landscape, wildlife and people for over 25 years. Now, in this extensive new volume, he selects his top 200 routes from his hugely popular Times column, A Good Walk.
More than just a basic guidebook, this is a meditation on our relationship with the landscape and a celebration of all that Britain has to offer. From Cornwall to Shetland via Pembrokeshire and Barrowdale, this is the most comprehensive collection of walks in the United Kingdom available in one book, and features trails to suit all skill levels and references, whether you want a gentle ramble to the pub or something much more challenging.
Each of the featured walks contains:
- Detailed description as featured in The Times column
- Postcode and OS grid reference start point
- Instructions on how to get there
- Distance and grade so readers can suit walks to their ability, fitness and mood
- Simple step-by-step walk instructions
- Beautiful colour photograph for each walk
- Full colour, clear and up-to-date map
- Food and accommodation details for the hungry traveller
Featuring stunning photography and using Christopher’s trademark with and lyricism, this is the perfect gift for ramblers anywhere.
- 200 walks from The Times columnist, Christopher Somerville
- Book mention in The Times weekly column from October-December 2016
- Each walk available online to print out
‘Perfect for veteran ramblers and leisurely strollers alike.’ – Coast Magazine
Christopher is a Times journalist with 25 years’ experience of writing and broadcasting about country walks (and tougher hikes). He is the author of Somerville’s 100 Best British Walks (Armchair Traveller, 2012), Where to See Wildlife in Britain and Ireland (Collins, 2013) and Best Wild Places (Penguin, 2011).